Friday 30 December 2011

Yesterday

Hello,
A good and bad day yesterday............
We awoke to snow, had breakfast and went up to the slopes. Snowing on the slopes, skiing was great, with good surface powderey snow. Come the afternoon, we felt tired and made our way back. Upon arrival at the hotel, you drop off your skis and change out of your ski boots into normal footwear.

Jodies boots had been stolen.

My new wife holds an opinion of the French which I dare not write.

This left us in a predicament of having to buy new boots. She also wanted to get a ski helmet. We came upto the room to grab jodies purse. It.was nowhere to be found. We searched everywhere. We were feeling very despondent. We decided to drive back to our first hotel, as this was the last place we'd had it. This was down in moutiers. After pulling off the motorway, the police were there making everyone put snowchains on. So we went into a shop and whilst in the car park, I put on the snow chains. Whilst wearing full skiing attire, needless to say by the end I had stripped down to my vest, was filthy and hot.
We pulled out of moutiers and headed towards the next town 'albertville'. Here we hoped to get the boots and bits we wanted.
Having pulled back onto the motorway/dual carriageway it became very apparent that snow chains were not necessary and that you couldn't travel above 30mph. So at the earliest oppurtunity we stopped again to remove the snow chains. I pulled up behind 6 cars that were also removing their chains. A car pulled in behind me. Space was tight, and a little precarious to remove them. I donned the hi-viz and started to take them off.
All was well until 2 massive snowploughs came along. They were unable to.squeeze past as it was a dual carriageway. THey had to take up the other carriageway aswell, causing everyone to slow to their pace, and stare. It seemed that as soon as anyone saw that we were English, they needed to hold their horn on as long as possible. Starting with the 2nd snowplough. I did remonstrate with the driver, and introduced him some good old fashioned Anglo Saxon. He neglected to stop as I had requested, so that he would be able voice his opinion face to face.
That said, I removed the snow chains in record time and we were the first to pull away.

5 mins up the road we caught my newest friend in the snow plough. I, like he did when he passed us, left my horn on as long as possible and gave him his 2nd lesson in Anglo Saxon.

I was now breathing normally, my blood pressure had returned to normal levels and all was well again.

We had some retail therapy and we were back to normal.

Out first hotel didn't have jodies purse. We returned to brides and our hotel room. Jodie cancelled her cards and I watched French tv.

We didn't make it to courchevel yesterday because of adverse weather on mountain. Today we are going to try again to lunch in courchevel.

We're both in good spirits and looking forward to the next leg of the 'invincible tour'.

Jodie now looks like a storm-trooper in her new helmet and mask.


No comments:

Post a Comment